Zoran Nikolic had a great season in the Buducnost VOLI jersey. This great center carried out a great burden, perfectly protected the basket from the opponent and greatly involved his teammates on offense, when he did not end the action with attractive dunks.
The great performances of this guy from Niksic were recognized by all fans of this game, and coach Dzikic himself emphasized Zoran’s importance for the team. Nikolic had a special reaction in the ABA League final. He “carried” his team to the title against Cedevita and Red Star.
Zoran Nikolic, as a 16-year-old from Niksic, left for Spain, and after moving to senior waters from Huventud, he moves to Buducnost Voli, whose member he still is today.
Apart from several domestic players, he won the title of the regional champion (ABA LEAGUE) and placement in Euroleague. The young center had a very tough and successful year behind, and besides the team ones, here were individual awards.
Nikolic was very keen on talking about all current and past topics with us.
1. How much does the title of Buducnost in ABA League mean to you?
“I THINK THAT WE ARE ACHIEVED AN AMAZING SUCCESS, SOMETHING THAT NO GENERATION HAS ACCOMPLISHED BEFORE US. IT IS NOT ONLY OUR SUCCESS, BUT THE SUCCESS OF ALL THOSE WHO WERE, ARE, AND WILL BE OUR CLUB.
ABA TITLE BROUGHT US THE EUROLEAGUE – I EXPERIENCED THAT AS SOME KIND OF BONUS, A CHANCE TO COMPETE AGAINST THE BEST. ”
2. What were the expectations at the beginning of last season?
“WE WOULD REPLY THE SAME THE WHOLE SEASON – THE NEXT GAME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE. THE COACH INSISTED ON RESPECTING EVERY OPPONENT AND TO GIVE OUR 100% NO MATTER WHAT.
THROUGHOUT THE SEASON, WE REALIZED THAT WE CAN BEAT TEAMS EVEN BETTER THAN US.”
3. Your angle of evaluation of better results for Buducnost already at the beginning of all competitions?
“IT’S HARD TO TALK ABOUT RESULTS FROM THIS POSITION. THE SEASON IS GOING TO BE TOUGH, THAT’S FOR SURE.”
4. With the absence of Barović, you had to spend many minutes on the floor, and the fans don’t even know that you also had a problem with your back during and after the season. What is your state of health now and how hard was it for you to be practically the only ‘five’ in the second part of the year?
“I WOULDN’T TALK MUCH ABOUT THAT, I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE PLAYING THROUGH THE PAIN LAST SEASON. DURING THE SUMMER I WORKED ON GETTING BETTER. I NEED RESTLESS WORK TO DO THAT.”
5. Montenegro’s great games helped it advance to the second round of qualifications for the World Cup in China. How do you see the National Team in the end of this round?
“I HOPE FOR THE BEST POSSIBLE RESULT, I WANT TO HELP AS MUCH AS I CAN.”
6. Evaluation of the results of younger national team selections?
“SINCERELY, I HAVE NOT FOLLOWED THOSE COMPETITIONS ENOUGH TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION.”
7. Coach Dzikic emphasized how much Zoran Nikolic is an important player for Buducnost, especially in the final and semi-final series of the playoffs of ABA League.
You had a great “motivational” reaction, especially in the 3rd game against the Red Star in Moraca. How important is it for you to show the character at such moments, given that basketball lovers know that you can provide such games in the continent?
“WE HAVE DIVIDED ROLES AND TASKS, EVERY PLAYER SHOULD HAVE TO DO THEIR WORK, AND THAT IS WHY EVERYONE IS OUR IMPORTANT FOR TEAM.
THE NEXT STEP IS THE CONSISTENCY IN GOOD GAMES, AND I REALIZE THAT IS SOMETHING I SHOULD FOCUS ON,THE PERFORMANCE IN MY GAMES. ”
8. You recently extended the contract with the club. What are the expectations of a busy season?
“WE HAVE THE SAME VIEW AS WELL AS SEASON – NEXT GAME IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ONE.”
9. Message to fans of KK Budućnost Voli?
“ BUDUCNOST IS LOVED FROM THE STANDS… They always need your help and support!”